2019, № 81UDC: 633.63:575:632.52.577.1
Molecular screening of Beta vulgaris L. breeding material for presence of powdery mildew resistance genePowdery mildew is a wide-spread disease that causes premature dying off of leaves, inhibits plants and leads to sugar content decrease in beet roots. Selection and use of genetically resistant sugar beet forms in crosses is the most priority direction today. In the given work, the results of sugar beet breeding material molecular-genetic study for presence/absence of the Pm dominant gene of resistance to powdery mildew have been elucidated. The results of development and approvement of a specific primer pair effective for identification of the Pm powdery mildew resistance gene in sugar beet breeding material are presented. As a result of the performed PCR-analysis using Pm36 specific primer, 6 sugar beet genotypes with the amplicon of 1000 b.p. in length that is characteristic for the Pm gene have been selected. These samples of sugar beet plants have appeared to be carriers of R-genes or loci inherited linked to genes of resistance to the phytopathogen. Screening of sugar beet breeding materials for resistance to powdery mildew using of molecular-genetic primers can be successfully used in practice. These genotypes can be used as a new starting material with resistance to powdery mildew.
Keywords: Polymerase chain reaction (PCR), primer, gene, powdery mildew, sugar beet
- Francis, M. S. Exploitation of novel sources of disease resistance in Beta germplasm using molecular markers / M. S. Francis, M. Asher // J Sugar Beet. - 2000. - V. 37. - P. 89-95.
- Kourelis, J. Defended to the Nines: 25 Years of Resistance Gene Cloning Identifies Nine Mechanisms for R Protein Function / J. Kourelis, R. Hoorn // The Plant Cell. - 2018. - V. 30. - P. 285-299.
- Fank, A. Nucleotide-binding resistance gene signatures in sugar beet, insights from a new reference genome / A. Fank, P. Galewski, M. McGrath // The Plant Journal. - 2018. - V. 95. - P. 659-671.
- Urbach, J. The NBS-LRR architectures of plant R-proteins and metazoan NLRs evolved in independent events / J. Urbach, F. Ausubel // Proc. Nath. Acad. Sci. USA. - 2017. - V. 114. - P. 1063-1068.
- Capistano-Gossmann, G. Crop wild relative population of Beta vulgaris allow direct mapping of agronomically important genes / G. Capistano-Gossmann, D. Ries, D. Holtgrawe, A. Minoche, T. Kraft, S. Frerichmann, T. Soerensen, J. Dohm, I. Gonzalez // Nature Communication. - 2017. - V. 8. - 15708.
- Lewellen, R. Inheritance of Powdery Mildew Resistance in Sugar Beet Derived from Beta vulgaris subsp. maritima / R. Lewellen, Schrandt // Plant Disease. - 2001. - V. 85. - № 6. - P. 627-631.
- Blanco, A. Molekular mapping of the novel powdery mildew resistance gene Pm36 introgressed from Triticumturgidum var. dicoccoides in durum wheat / A. Blanco, A. Gadaleta, A. Cenci, A. Carluccio, A. Abdelbacki, R. Simeone // TheorAppl Genet. - 2008. - V. 117. - P. 135-142.
- Grimmer, M. K. Mapping of five resistance genes to sugar-beet powdery mildew using AFLP and anchored SNP markers / M. K. Grimmer, M. R. Bean, M. Asher // Theor. Appl. Genet. - 2007. - V.115. - Р. 67-75.
- Janssen, J. Mapping of Resistance Genes to Powdery Mildew (Erysiphe betae) in Sugar beet / J. Janssen, M. Nihlgard, Th. Kraft // 1 joint IIRB-ASSBT Congress. - 2003. - USA. - P. 175-180.
- Mahuku, G. S. A simple extraction method suitable for PCR-based analysis of plant, fungal, and bacterial DNA / G. S. Mahuku // Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. - 2004. - Vol. 22. - P. 71-81.
- Hussein, A. S. Efficient and nontoxic DNA isolation method for PCR analysis / A. S. Hussein, A. A. Nalbandyan, T. P. Fedulova, N. N. Bogacheva // Russian Agricultural Sciences. - May 2014, Volume 40, Issue 3. - P. 177-178.
- Nalbandyan Arpine Artavadzovna, Phd in Biology, Head of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology laboratory, A. Mazlumov All-Russian Research Institute of Sugar Beet and Sugar.
- Fedulova Tatyana Petrovna, DSc in Biology, A. Mazlumov All-Russian Research Institute of Sugar Beet and Sugar.